Lewis Burwell, the son of Edward and Dorothy Burwell, was born in
England and baptized on 5 March 1622. He came to Virginia while still quite
young with his mother and her second
husband, Roger Wingate.
In June 1648 he patented 2350
acres north of the York River along Rosewell Creek in the
area that four
years later became Gloucester County. The plantation became known as
"Fairfield", and later "Carter's Creek". In
July 1648 his
mother, Dorothy, appears in the records of
York County conveying to Lewis all of the rents due at her husband's death.
Lewis died in 1653 and his tombstone relates his position as a major of
Lewis had married Lucy Higginson, daughter of Capt. Robert Higginson, commander
at Middle Plantation, and they had one child, Lewis, born probably about 1652.
The son inherited
his father's estate and then married well so
that by 1704 he held a total of 26,650 acres in seven
counties. In 1702 he was appointed to the council and was also a
governor of the College of William and Mary.